- Adopting a participatory approach for building consensus between all stakeholders
- Maintaining professionalism and adopting well-devised methodologies when proposing solutions to challenges facing women
- Focusing on priorities to address needs that have the highest impact on women’s progress
- Adopting the principles of good governance and a flexible mechanism that enables JNCW to carry out its tasks effectively.
- Creating an environment that supports the political empowerment of women and their active participation in the public sphere.
- Creating an environment that values and supports women’s economic participation and ensuring equal economic opportunities.
- Countering gender-based discrimination and violence and achieving social justice and social empowerment of women.
- Mainstreaming gender in national legislation, policies, plans, programs and budgets.
- Institutionalizing the processes of monitoring and evaluation and ensuring compliance with Jordan’s national, regional and international commitments to gender equality.
- Ensuring JNCW’s sustainability and developing its institutional and administrative capacities.
- The Jordanian Constitution
- Conventions, declarations and international resolutions ratified by Jordan
- Global Sustainable Development Goals 2030
- Jordan Vision 2025
- The National Strategy for Jordanian Women
- The Cabinet’s decision on 21/9/1996 which delineates JNCW’s tasks and responsibilities
The Jordanian National Commission for Women (JNCW) was established as a national machinery to promote women’s status in Jordan in accordance with the cabinet’s decision no 21/11/3382 in 1992. Chaired by HRH Princess Basma bint Talal, the Commission’s board includes representation of relevant ministers, civil society organizations and the private sector. JNCW seeks to ensure that Jordan complies with its national, Arab and international commitments, which aim at improving women’s status and their participation in sustainable development.
On September 21, 1996, the Jordanian cabinet designated JNCW as a national reference for all official entities and a representative of the Kingdom in all women-related issues and activities. The Commission’s tasks and responsibilities were identified along the following key themes:
- Mainstreaming women’s issues and priorities in national strategies, policies, legislation, plans and budgets.
- Monitoring discrimination against women and assessing progress vis-à-vis equality and equal opportunities.
- Advocacy for women’s issues and raising awareness on their role and participation in achieving national sustainable development.
Since 1993 and as a part of its mandate, JNCW leads the process of preparing and updating the National Strategy for Women in Jordan. JNCW has adopted a participatory method to review and update the strategy. The current National Strategy for Jordanian Women (2013 – 2017) was endorsed by the cabinet in 2013.
Equal and active citizenship in a just society that guarantees equal opportunities, to achieve national sustainable development.
JNCW’s mission is to advance women’s status and maintain their achievements in Jordan, and promoting a positive and supportive attitude and environment that values women’s role through a participatory approach that engages all stakeholders.