Repairman gets 10 years for raping domestic helper

Home > Media Center > News > Repairman gets 10 years for raping domestic helper
Printer Friendly, PDF & Email

AMMAN - The Criminal Court has sentenced a 30-year-old man to 10 years in prison for raping a Philippine domestic helper in November 2006.

The court declared the defendant, a private company employee, guilty of raping the woman on November 11.

The court said the defendant went to the house where the domestic helper was employed, to fix a washing machine.

The Filipina was alone in the house and the minute she opened the door and the defendant realised that no one else was there, he undressed her by force, raped her and then left, court papers said.

The employer returned home to find the woman crying and filed a complaint to the police, the court added.

The verdict said the court relied on the Filipina’s testimony, a report by a government pathologist indicating bruises on her body, and the defendant’s confession in front of authorities.

The verdict maintained that although DNA samples taken from the rape victim did not match that of the suspect, the court said it did not rely on these results because the samples were taken the day after the attack.

“Although the DNA evidence was not conclusive in this case, it does not mean the sexual assault did not occur and the court is convinced by the victim’s testimony and the defendant’s confession,” the court said.

The November 12 verdict will automatically be reviewed by the Court of Cassation within the next 30 days.

The tribunal comprised judges Majid Azab, Mohammad Khashashneh and Hayel Amr.

Meanwhile, a second tribunal sentenced a 22-year-old man to 30 months in prison after convicting him of molesting a child in July 2008.

The court convicted the defendant, a gas cylinder vendor, of molesting the three-year-old victim while she was at her father’s shop on July 5 and handed him a five-year prison sentence.

But the court decided to reduce the sentence to half because the victim’s father dropped charges against the defendant.

The court said the defendant would remain free on bail until the higher court reviews the verdict within the next 30 days and either upholds or overturns it.

The tribunal comprised judges Hassan Amayrah, Ahmad Atoun and Fawzi Nahar.